Tuning The Tale #1


For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you probably know I love pairing books to songs. I've always wanted to find a way to share with everyone the music I find that fits with books, but I saw no easily available alternative to just tweeting "hey everyone! listen to       by       it's everything this author tried to encompass in this book!" This project has been in the works for a long time, so I'm proud to finally present to you: Tuning The Tale! 

Basically, whenever I find some songs that have struck a chord (see what I did there) with me pertaining to a particular book, I will share with all of you my song choices and why I chose them! I guess this is sort of my way of creating/sharing playlists with you, along with analyzing lyrics and picking out parallels between the books and songs! So with no further ado, I would love to share with you my first Tuning The Tale.

*creds to Jess who helped me with this name you rock* 


The Raven Boys (maybe a lil more The Raven Cycle-esque)
Drive by Halsey
BLUE by Troye Sivan
Let It Go by The Neighbourhood
Grow by Rae Morris
Blinding by Florence + The Machine
Youth by Daughter
Want My Love by Cathedrals
Your Soul by Rhodes
Colors by Halsey
Fools by Lauren Aquilina 

If you haven't heard Drive by Halsey and didn't automatically think Blue and Gansey, let me point out the parallels between the two by providing lyrical evidence.

  • "My hands, wrapped around a stick shift. Swerving on the 405, I can never keep my eyes off this." 
I know my memory does not fail me when I say that in Blue Lily, Lily Blue, the pig goes for a joyride and the two of them have a jolly good time. Also:
  • "It's so simple but we can't stay. Overanalyze again, would it really kill you if we kissed?"
Sounds pretty self-explanatory.

Blue by Troye Sivan reminds me a lot of Blue and Gansey, but I'm not sure if it's because I listened to this song on repeat while I was reading The Raven Cycle. However this line has got me hooked and reeled in:
  • "Love it's hard I know. All your lights are red, but I'm green to go." 
There's this very specific scene in The Raven Boys, involving a very beautiful forest, some friends, and crazy visions. Now think of this one particular scene and listen to the song from Gansey's point of view and then you're all for that line. 
  • "I want you to color me blue, anything it takes to make you stay."
I'm so sorry, but I think this is becoming a Bluesey tribute playlist. However, I'm not sorry at the same time.

Let It Go by The Neighbourhood reminds me of my Raven Boys, for some strange reason. 
  • "I'm from a little city with expensive taste; where the cars don't run till the engines break." 
The second chapter of The Raven Boys is literally all about Gansey on the side of the road because his car broke down. 

Grow by Rae Morris just reminds me of every ounce of emotion each of these characters felt throughout the entire series. It was a roller coaster, honestly; a time set for self discovery and the emergence of a true friendship. 
  • "All of the thoughts we waste under the weight of the world. All of the time we spend under the weight of the world." 
Blinding by Florence + The Machine makes me think of Blue and how much she matured and grew as a character throughout the first three books in this series. 
  • "Seems that I have been held in some dreaming state. I twist in the waking world, never quite awake. No kiss, no gentle word could wake me from this slumber. Until I realize it was you who held me under." 
Youth by Daughter makes me think of this wild adventure and the hunt for the Welsh king; summer and the smell of the forest, the leather seats of fast cars and smoke from the exhaust. 
  • "We are the reckless, we are the wild youth. Chasing visions of our futures, one day we'll reveal the truth." 
Want My Love by Cathedrals is honestly another Bluesey song and I'm not even mad. This is basically Blue Lily, Lily Blue in a nutshell.
  • "Baby, I know you feel alone. Spend these days just wondering when you'd call. Baby, I want you for my own. Whisper calls to you after you hang up the phone." 
Your Soul by Rhodes just has this vibe that makes me think of Ronan and Adam. 
  • "I see you on the blue skies, I need a little sunshine. I fill into your brown eyes, I told you I was your light." 
Colors by Halsey; Badlands was literally written about The Raven Cycle. This song encompasses a lot of the elements in the books and I can also see some scenes correlating to some lines in this song. 
  • "You're ripped at every edge but you're a masterpiece and now you're tearing through the pages and the ink." 
Fools by Lauren Aquilina is the perfect song to capture everything The Raven Cycle is about, that it actually makes me want to cry when I listen to it. 
  • "I watched our bodies turn to ghosts - such good friends it has to end, it always does. That's the way life is. Do we take that risk?" 
I hope you guys like this new feature! I'm very excited about it and can't wait to type up more posts like this. Leave your thoughts below and tell me what you think about the songs! I'm hoping it brings you all a little pain, but tons more happiness. 

9 comments :

  1. This is a wonderful feature. While I've never read The Raven Boys, I am always on the lookout for new music. I'll have to check these songs out. Thanks for sharing!

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the next one I do will be a book you've read and then the feels will DEFINITELY hit you :) Thank you for the wonderful comment!

      Delete
  2. I love this feature! I think the songs were perfect for the book, all those Bluesey songs gave me so many feelings. Great post!

    Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this positive feedback! Trust me, every time those songs come on I stop everything and think about Bluesey haha :)

      Delete
  3. "would it really kill you if we kissed?" uumm... this is PERFECTION. Oh and that last song hit me kind of hard :( I really loved this post btw. I think you should carry on doing it. Music, no LYRICS are very important to me, and I'm constantly pulling stories from them and assigning them to books or different aspects of life. This post made me so happy :) I'm going to listen to all these songs now! (and also keep up with this post theme pls? I GET NEW ARTISTS TO FOLLOW FROM IT!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, I'm so glad you liked this post!! I'll hopefully have new ones up every Monday - maaaybe, if time allows for it :)

      Delete
  4. I'm digging this. Would you have a problem if I ever used your graphic for this and starting using it as a feature? I can link back to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no problem with it! I'll hopefully be posting these every monday, so maybe I'll add a linky at the end of the post and you guys can link your posts up if you wanna join in on that fun! :)

      Delete
  5. This feature is AMAZING! I loved reading it even though I didn't read The Raven Boys, it made me discover new songs, and I LOVE listening to music. I love that feeling when you're listening to some song, and then they're that moment when you think: THIS SONG FITS THIS BOOK PERFECTLY.💖 and your new blog design is STUNNING.

    ReplyDelete