Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer


4.5/5 Stars
Published by Feiwel and Friends
Published January 3rd, 2012

Synopsis: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future. 

I honestly cannot believe I put off reading this book for so long. Marissa Meyer was able to captivate me from the very first page - pulling me in and urging me to not stop reading until I finished, and that was exactly what I did. Cinder is a genius retelling on the classic fairytale Cinderella in which the world is instead set in a sci-fi, futuristic world, with everything from cyborgs to hover crafts. With brilliant writing and an elaborately developed world, Marissa Meyer was able to take Cinderella and morph and transform this classic into something out of this world - literally.

When going into this book I had very high expectations, but Marissa Meyer did not fall short. I was completely engaged with the characters and engrossed in the plot line; falling in love with those who deemed worthy and whole heartedly loathing those who were not as peachy. Cinder was an especially clever and stubborn main character, making her extremely relatable to teens like myself. She is warm-hearted, tough, and selfless, especially in times of panic and chaos. Along with this, she is incredibly intelligent, allowing me to thoroughly enjoy all the parts in the story in which she embraced her cyborg parts. Prince Kai is able to find humor and light in the dark of the most chaotic moments, and has his heart in the right place. Kai and Cinder are super cute together (I am Kaider trash), especially because the romance seems so naive.

Cinder, now that I think of it, was full of edge-of-your-seat moments and times where you'd think the whole world was going to come tumbling down. However, because the characters were so well established, they were able to carry the story forward and keep the plot hyped up and action packed. I have nothing but good words to say about the writing and the establishment of the plot.  It was enthralling and chest deep full of witty liners and wonderfully entertaining characters. 11/10 would recommend - so pick yourself up a copy of Cinder!

I am quite invested in this world now and since writing this review, I have already made it through about a fourth of Cress and am currently working on my review of Scarlet - oh how you've ruined me Marissa Meyer!

even in the future, the story begins with once upon a time ... 

1 comment :

  1. hahaha it's funny because that's pretty much exactly what I said in my review for Cinder when I finally read it: I could NOT believe I'd waited so long either! It's like for some reason, I wasn't sure if sci-fi+fairytale retelling would work for me but MAN, DID IT EVER :D I am so, so happy to hear that you are having so much fun with the series! I can't wait for your reviews of Scarlet and Cress ♥

    ReplyDelete